I call it Saturday...

A weekly blog about the fresh, local food each Saturday at the Union Square Farmer's Market in NYC and my subsequent moments of culinary triumph and failure.

Friday, September 15, 2006

Midweek pick up...

On Wednesday as I was walking through the Square, I couldn't resist the kale--huge beautiful heads of it. I incorporated it into a vegetable soup (it was a cold rainy day) that ended up being quite hearty and delicious.

Vegetable Soup for 2

1/2 bunch kale (stemmed and chopped)
1 cippolini onion (chopped)
1/2 pint grape tomatoes (halved)
2 yukon gold potatoes (diced)
2 red new potatoes (diced)
1/2 t red Peter Pepper flakes (home grown & dried from Silver Heights Farm stock)
3/4 cup chopped carrots
3 cloves garlic (minced)
4 cups low sodium chicken stock
black pepper

I started by sauteeing the the onions and garlic in a little olive oil until translucent in the bottom of a small Le Creust soup pot. I added the kale and potatoes tossing until the potatoes got a little brown on the edges. Finally, I put in the stock, carrots and tomatoes along with the red and black pepper. Simmered about an hour--until the kale was tender.

This was really good served with seeded sourdough bread (I like the parbaked you finish yourself). Greg had three bowls.

2 Comments:

At 6:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you are making me extraordinarily hungry. Also, I am dying to know how the radish/canteloupe salad went over. I hate the cloying aspect of canteloupe but if it were cut by the radishes and the mint, it might not be too bad.

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Tina said...

Oh, the radish cantalope salad was fantastic!!!!

Even Greg, who likes his breakfast foods "pure" thought it was a great combo. This melon was especially sugary, so the radish really, really helped.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home