I call it Saturday...

A weekly blog about the fresh, local food each Saturday at the Union Square Farmer's Market in NYC and my subsequent moments of culinary triumph and failure.

Monday, November 27, 2006

November 18, 2006

Last weekend, I made an incredible discovery at the Gorzynski Farm stand. I picked up a bunch of greens that I thought was a collection of mixed kales: some leaves were flat: green with red spots and deep maroon, others were curly: light green and green with red spots.

Much to my surprise, I learned that all four leaf types were from the same head of the same mustard green plant. Mr. Gorzynski cross-bred it himself and calls it "Red Beard". It can be used raw, braised and sauteed. It tastes like a dark leafy green with an incredibly sharp mustard flavor with an underlying horseradish bite.

FANTASTIC!!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home