I call it Saturday...

A weekly blog about the fresh, local food each Saturday at the Union Square Farmer's Market in NYC and my subsequent moments of culinary triumph and failure.

Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Frustrated and Uninspired

Sorry folks, between the freakin' new blogger killing my posts 75% of the time and a rather uninspiring winter market, I haven't posted in a while. HOWEVER, I did have one extreme culinary success earlier this week:

Mushroom Ragu
1/2 lb white mushroom caps, quartered to bite size (the mushroom guy)
1 pint grape tomatoes (the hydroponic Japanese)
2 small onions (J&S Farms)
1 t red pepper flakes (my own blend of Peter and Fish chiles from Silver Heights plants)
6 cloves of garlic
salt and pepper
1 T olive oil

I started by browning the onions and garlic in olive oil and then adding the mushrooms to a saucepan over high heat. When the mushrooms were browned, I added the pint of tomatoes, red pepper flakes and some salt and pepper and about half a cup of water so the tomatoes would start to give up their juice. Simmer, stirring occassionally, for about 20 minutes or until the tomatoes can be easily crushed with a spoon.

Best when served at room temperature. GREAT on crusty french bread.



has not been terribly inspiring for the past month... Lots of cheese, lots of meat, not

2 Comments:

At 8:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mushrooms are yucky

 
At 4:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I doubt that Walt ever used the word "yucky" in his life. Not even when his grandma smacked him for asking why, if it was so great, she left germany.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home